How to build an aquaponics system at home – DIY made easy
Are looking into how to build an aquaponics system at home in your backyard? Are you wondering what’s the best way to begin? If this is you and you’re looking to save a whole bunch of time and money. If you want the complete system on the cheap, then DIY is the way to go. But how do you build a backyard aquaponics system on the cheap and fast? Let’s take a look…
How do you build a backyard aquaponics system in 20 seconds…
If you’re looking for instructions on how to build an aquaponics system at home in your backyard. But without the hassle and on the cheap, you’re best advised to invest in a course. Building your own backyard aquaponics system involves having a few technical skills. These skills can be learned the hard way, or you can speed things up and find out from someone who’s already done it before. It’s your choice of course, but I’d recommend the leading DIY aquaponics course loved by many, which is Easy DIY Aquaponics.
How to build an aquaponics system
How you build an aquaponics system is about understanding the steps involved.
These are the steps to build your backyard aquaponics system:
- 1 Step – Putting your fish tank or aquaculture system together.
- 2 Step – Building your media bed or plant container which is your hydroponics system.
- 3 Step – Adding your aquaponics fish or aquatic animals for your fish harvest.
- 4 Step – Adding the aquaponic plants for your vegetable harvest.
- 5 Step – Maintaining a healthy aquaponics system to keep the correct levels of pH, ammonia and nitrates.
Actually, there’s a sixth step in the process of building your backyard aquaponics system. The sixth step is when you harvest your fish and vegetables and enjoy them at your kitchen table. Enjoy organic food you’ve grown at home.
What do you need to build your own aquaponics system at home?
To build your own aquaponics system at home is about using the right materials, matching the best fish to the type of plants you want to grow and then knowing how to monitor and maintain a healthy aquaponics system.
To build your own aquaponics system at home, you’ll need the following things:
- Space to put the aquaponics system: Backyard aquaponics systems come in many shapes and sizes. From the mini DIY aquaponics system to a larger fully designed system that requires a lot more space.
- You’ll need a “how to build an aquaponics system step by step guide“: You can either learn the hard way and search Google for your answers. Join forums and Facebook groups. Or you can fast-track it by investing in a course that’s been designed and taught by an expert in aquaponics with a member’s area to ask questions as you work your way through your design and build.
- Then you’ll need to source and buy the materials to build your aquaponics system: But where do you find the materials? How big should the fish tank be? Most of the materials you’ll need for aquaponics can be found at a hardware store near you or online on Amazon or similar.
- Then you need to choose your fish: But how many fish can you grow and what type is best to keep in an aquaponics system. But also you have to understand when is the best time to add your fish to the system.
- Next is to choose the type of plants and vegetables to grow: But how large should the plant media bed be? What type of plants match your fish and what type of vegetables or fruit do you want to harvest?
- Then you need to know how to maintain your aquaponics system: Keeping the water pH, ammonia and nitrate levels right for the fish and the plants isn’t too difficult once you know what you’re doing and you have the correct tools and equipment to measure levels.
How do you get step by step instructions to make it easy to build your backyard aquaponics system?
The best way to build a backyard aquaponics system, whether from a kit or from your own sourced materials, is to obtain step by step instructions on exactly what to do. If you have someone to guide you through step-by-step, you’ll make less mistakes, avoid expensive mistakes and build your system much faster.
Always remember that mistakes cost money. Mistakes like losing your first batch of fish when they die of ammonia poisoning is not only disheartening, but can be quite costly. For this reason alone, the small investment you’ll make in Easy DIY Aquaponics for $37 would pay for itself. But then you can sometimes be lucky when this investment is reduced to just $27.
What about the idea of having someone provide you with the exact instructions on the design and materials to use to use to build your aquaponics system. But not only that, where to get these materials.
I hope you enjoyed this article about how do you build a backyard aquaponics system
If you’ve benefitted from reading this article on “how do you build a backyard aquaponics system” please share it on your favourite social media site.
Also, if you have anything to add or if you have any questions, please feel free to comment below too.
There will also be many more articles about DIY aquaponics for you to read and learn about, so please bookmark this blog.
Happy DIY aquaponics.